Posted: , Last update: June 12 2017, in Bunkers, Fortresses & Strongpoints. No Comments

Bayernwald was part of the German front line in WWI. Situated on a hill it was a key position and therefore suffered constant attacks and artillery bombardments by the opposing British forces.



Posted: , Last update: May 23 2017, in D-Day Normandy, Museums & Collections. No Comments

This museum traces the period of the Allied landings on D-Day in Normandy until the liberation of Paris. It boasts an impressive collection ranging from army infantry equipment and belongings to tanks of the era used on both sides of the battle.



Posted: , Last update: May 18 2017, in D-Day Normandy, Memorials & Monuments. No Comments

On D-Day, June 6th 1944, Piper William “Bill” Millin led the way playing his bagpipe for the Scottish Commando’s of Lord Lovat’s 1st Special Service Brigade landing on the shore of Sword Beach.



Posted: , Last update: May 18 2017, in Cemeteries. 1 Comment

With the construction of a military training complex in Wünsdorf-Zossen in 1909, this cemetery became the final resting place for soldiers from all over the world during both World Wars.



Posted: , Last update: February 13 2017, in Bunkers, Fortresses & Strongpoints. No Comments

These towers were developed specifically as air raid shelters by German Architect Leo Winkel.



Posted: , Last update: January 31 2017, in Bunkers, Fortresses & Strongpoints, Third Reich Sites & Architecture. No Comments

Hidden in the foliage at the dead end of the curved “Am Großen Wannsee” lane lies a complex which was formerly known as the Reichs Air Raid Defense School or in German “Reichsluftschutzschule”, together with the massive “Hochbunker” Heckeshorn.



Posted: , Last update: January 24 2017, in Tanks & Vehicles. No Comments

With the rise to power of the Nazi Party in 1933, the German Reichsbahn (or State Railway) became a powerful instrument in carrying out the party’s agenda. As a government run company, it set an example by expelling all social democrats, communists, trade unionists and Jews from employment and the “Heil Hitler” salute became mandatory for all Reichsbahn officials.



Posted: , Last update: January 4 2017, in Cemeteries. No Comments

The Battle of the Bulge claimed many lives on both sides. In this last stage of the war during the winter of 1945, brave men gave their lives for the final victory, while others sacrificed theirs in a last attempt to stop them. Both motives ensured a fierce fight.



Posted: , Last update: November 2 2016, in Memorials & Monuments, Museums & Collections. 1 Comment

On the 20th of January 1942, Reinhard Heydrich addressed a group of 15 men of whom prominent members of the NSDAP and important government officials in the infamous Wannsee Conference Room, with the aim to secure their support and conclude a final solution of the ‘Jewish question’.



Posted: , Last update: September 19 2016, in Bunkers, Fortresses & Strongpoints. 3 comments

To restructure the German Army Command, Hitler founded the OKH and OKW organisations. Both commands were stationed in two neighbouring facilities Maybach I and Maybach II in the forested area between Zossen and Wünsdorf, Brandenburg, just some 20 kilometers South of Berlin.



Posted: , Last update: June 28 2016, in Cemeteries. No Comments

Right across the road from the Memorial of “The Fifty”, lies a military cemetery of Russian origin. It’s neglected headstones and tombs form a sharp contrast to the well kept memorial of The Fifty.



Posted: , Last update: March 3 2016, in Bunkers, Fortresses & Strongpoints. No Comments

Fort Mahler a.k.a Fort du Larmont Inférieure was built between 1843 and 1851 to cover the flank of “Château de Joux” or “Fort de Joux” in case of an attack.



Posted: , Last update: February 15 2016, in Weapons Industry & Facilities. 1 Comment

This Bailey bridge lies in between the former positions of Widerstandsnest 31H and Widerstandsnest 32H along the former Anti-Tank trench of Fortress Hook of Holland.



Posted: , Last update: February 11 2016, in Atlantic Wall, Bunkers, Fortresses & Strongpoints. No Comments

On the West side of the Staelduinse Forest lies Artillery Stand “Kormoran”. This was an open firing position just outside the inner anti-tank ring of Fortress Hook of Holland situated just behind the tree line in the Forest.



Posted: , Last update: February 8 2016, in Atlantic Wall, Bunkers, Fortresses & Strongpoints. 2 comments

As part of the Fortress Hook of Holland, Widerstandsnest (or W.N.) 35 H lay hidden in the relative safety of the Staelduinse Forest, a small distance to the North East from Stp. XIX, the Fortress Command Headquarters that was also situated here.






Recent Articles

We have been traveling to many places ever since 2009. Here you will find the latest stories of our trips so far. Looking for something specific? Use the Search bar or the "Search Locations" page to find what you are looking for. Still can't find the right info? Let us know!

LandmarkScout LandmarkScout