Right across the road from the Memorial of “The Fifty”, in honor of the executed POW’s who tried to escape the nearby Stalag Luft III POW camp by digging the famous tunnel “Harry”, lies a military cemetery of Russian origin. It’s neglected headstones and tombs form a sharp contrast to the well kept memorial of The Fifty.
This cemetery dates back from WWI when around a 110 Tsarist Russian prisoners of war were buried here. A monument with an Eastern Orthodox Cross on top dates from this time. In 1920 another, much larger monument was erected having both Russian and German inscriptions.
During WWII the cemetery was used again between the summer of 1940 and the liberation of the POW camp in Februari 1945. Interred here are prisoners of Stalag VIIIC, with 220 French and approx. 40 Italians.
After the war exhumations were carried out and the cemetery was reduced from 120m length to it’s present size.
Visit the cemetery at Zagan
The cemetery lies hidden along the main road (N 296) and the railroad track. It can be hard to find so use the map we provided. The cemetery is freely admissible.