In 1940, to supply the buildings on the Obersalzberg of electricity and heat, a huge coal storage was built near Hitler’s Berghof by Italian laborers. The bunker was built against the mountainside below the eagle’s nest, just opposite of Hermann Göring’s house. The construction costs went sky high when Martin Bormann decided that the facade of the bunker had to be done all over again for an amazing 77.000 Reichsmark in total.
The coal storage is 38 meters wide, 20 meters deep and about 20 meters high. With it’s huge proportions it could hold 10.000 cubic meters of coal, which is somewhere between 3,500 to 4,000 tons.
Delivery trucks dumped their loads through the roof of the storage bunker from the road high above. Smaller trucks could pick up their loads at the bottom from the storage and delivered the coal to various buildings and houses on the Fuhrers headquarters. The main heating plant was situated at the SS barracks in the center field, other buildings had their own heating systems, so there was a steady demand of coal.
In 1945 the coal strorage was set on fire either by retreating SS troops or by advancing Allied soldiers. It burned from early May 1945 until October 1945, an astonishing half year long!
Visit the coal storage
The Coal storage bunker, or Koksbunker, is in relative good shape. Some of the original wooden doors are still present. On top of the bunker the decay is visible, and it looks like it’s about to collapse. Therefore it is fenced off and there are multiple warning signs to keep you of the roof or out of the bunker itself.