M2 Carbine with T3-A1 Dual Magazine Holder. The M2 is a converted M1 Carbine with a full auto function. From start all M1’s should have been with the full auto option but due to shortage of time the semi-automatic version left the production line. From October 1943 the M1’s were converted into M2’s and left the production line together with original fabricated M2’s. The A1 version is the paratrooper version with a folding stock – M1A1 and M2A1. The M1 had a magazine of 15 rounds, with the introduction of the M2 and its fully automatic mode the magazine was increased up to 30 rounds. The magazine was slightly curved giving it the name Banana clip.
It was in service from mid-1942 until 1945 during WW2, more than 6.1 million units were produced during WW2, but the gun is used in these present times in various versions and used over time by multiple countries.
The most common accessory for extra ammo on the M1 Carbine during WW2 was a belt pouch on its stock with extra magazines. Taping two magazines together “Jungle Style” was another option which Audie Murphy used during the war. Taping magazines together was used on the M1 Carbine and M3 “Grease Gun”.
This led to the development of the “Jungle Clip” by the Military, a metal clamp that held together two magazines without tape designated T3-A1.
Photographed at the National Museum of Military History – NMMH – Diekirch Luxembourg.