Here at the German War Cemetery La Cambe in Normandy are the final resting places of 21,245 soldiers. Many of these soldiers came from the later drafts of the SS and fell during the Allied invasion of Normandy.
Already during the fighting in Normandy in 1944 this site near the village of La Cambe was used by the American Army to bury the dead of both Allied and Axis soldiers. After the war the US Army moved their fallen soldiers to the cemetery at St. Laurent-sur-Mer, and German fallen from there were brought to La Cambe. From 1958 the cemetery was officially founded under the care of the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge. Since the cemetery was finished in 1961 around 700 German fallen soldiers that were found later in Normandy were added to the cemetery.
In the center of the cemetery is the six meters high “Tumulus” or Grave Hill that is the final resting place for 207 unknown and 89 known soldiers.
The grave of Tank commander Michael Wittmann and his tank crew is also here on La Cambe.
You can visit this cemetery freely during the daytime.