St. James Church, Acton Trussell
The St. James Church is situated just outside the small village of Acton Trussell in the English county of Staffordshire. The church is from the 13th century, build in 1212. It was enlarged and rebuild in 1869. The organ chamber and a combined vestry were added together with a new south porch. St. James Church was re-opened in 1870 after being closed for 44 years. The church has a window from the 13th century one from the 14th century and three bells in the tower from the 17th century.
In the backyard a wing of a Roman villa was discovered. From May 1985 archaeologists work here and found artefacts from the Roman and much older times, dating back to the Iron Age, the Bronze Age and even the Stone Age.
In the church yard are two commonwealth graves to be found, one from The Great War and one from the Second World War.
Mr. Thomas Askey was a private and fought with the Durham Light Infantry during the First World War. He perished on the 24th of October in 1918. Mr. Edward Barker was a Sapper with the Royal Engineers and died on 7 February in 1944 during the Second World War at the age of 29. Mr. Barker has another memorial stone next to the commonwealth stone. Here is the name of his wife, Catherine Darling Barker who almost reached the age of 102 years old.
The Church with the commonwealth graves can be found at the Penkridge road very close to the village of Acton Trussell.