The German city of Dortmund holds 11710 victims of the Second World War spread over 44 cemeteries. The main cemetery, the Hauptfriedhof, is on the outskirts of the city and is a public cemetery. It opened in 1921 and with over 118 acres it is one of the largest cemeteries in Germany. There are 298 souls from the First World War on the Haubtfriedhof. From World War Two 3249 German souls rest in this park together with 89 German victims of the Nazi regime. 3032 stone crosses are placed to remember these men. There is a 12 meters high memorial pillar placed near the war graves.
A Foreign cemetery and Jewish cemetery is situated next to the main cemetery. On this part of the cemetery are more victims of war. Russians, Poles and more nationalities rest here.
The cemetery is open all year during daylight hours.