Rheinmetal-Borsig developed an Surface to Air Anti-Aircraft Missile in 1940 codenamed Feurelilie (Fire Lily). They tested the rocket in two versions, the smaller Feuerlilie F25 was 25 centimeters in diameter and the bigger Feuerlilie F55 was 55 centimeters in diameter. Both missiles are propelled by Rheinmetal 109-505/515 solid rockets. Both versions were tested in the Raketenerprobungsstelle Rumbke (Rocket test center Rumbke) at the Baltic sea near Leba in today’s Poland.
The Feuerlilie F25 was a scaled down version to run tests for flight behavior and wind tunnel tests. In 1943 the development of the remote control system was at an advanced stage but the 25 Feuerlilies F25 lacked engines. After the arrival of the rocket engines the Feuerlilies could be completed and test runs at the Leba proofing grounds commenced.
The Feuerlilie F25 was 1,89 meters long, had a diameter of 25 centimeters, and a top speed of 840 km/h. The Feuerlillie F25 was fired from an inclined ramp. Multiple Feuerlilies were fired near the Baltic Sea and the test results were used to improve the bigger Feuerlilie F55.
The Feuerlilie is photographed at the RAF museum in Cosford